• This topic has 22 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Hi guys simple question I hope…

I have read Tony’s tips searched the forum etc but hoping for a straight forward answer

Is there any reason NOT to install 160 degrees thermostats?

Tony’s tips suggest it should be done as all Cummins latest are.. many have changed, and over here with 40degC days I can’t see any harm in a bit of headroom with engine temps. I also plan on adding redundant alarms too eventually getting rid of the Cummins ones.

Anyway I look forward to the cons…

Steve

Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Thanks Rob

General usage would be cruising for around an hour at 2200 to 2400 rpm any low rev stuff would be river based with some high speed stuff where allowed and when whale watching, which could be a few hours at idle… So nothing that I think may be an issue with using 160deg stats.. oil is always fairly warm anyway and engine room min temps are likely to be no less than 15degC even in the winter…

Steve

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If you run at low rpms and little load all the time the risk of an overheat is nil since your are not extracting much HP therefore not generating high heat so your burn may not be as clean and you want to be sure you get your oil good and hot to keep it clear of moisture.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.