• Creator
    Topic

Blake H
    Participant
    Engines: 6BTA

When I removed the zinc from the bottom of my heat exchanger on my 6BTA this winter, the cap unscrewed and came out but the pencil zinc was still in the heat exchanger. I tried to get it out but just ended up pushing it into the HE. Does this need to be removed? Or can I simply just install the new zinc and the other one will dissolve over time?

The past owner of this boat said that this has happened to him before as well. Any way to prevent this from happening?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Just get a 22 cal. Gun cleaner and ream it out

Neto
    Participant

some heavy buildup in that area, I usually take some diluted pool acid with a brush to get that out.

Blake H
    Participant

Another pic

Another pic

Blake H
    Participant

Pulled the end cap

So I pulled the end cap and found 2 pencil zincs lodged in there. I removed both and this is what Iā€™m looking at now. Thoughts?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Remove the end cap and get that zinc debris out.Ā  It will give you a chance to see what you seawater tubes look like as well.Ā  You need to make the pencil zinc pliers tight in the brass cap before installing into the cooler so it does not unscrew from the cap on removal as you see it can.Ā  Install the new zinc in the heat exchanger before re-installing the end cap so can see if the zinc is hitting the internal casting of the heat exchanger which many do.Ā  It’s all covered in this link.Ā  New end cap cover gaskets available here in the Seaboard store.

Pencil Zinc Install

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.