• Creator
    Topic

Robb Hanold
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bonas IV

Can you tell me the maximum HP the ZF220A can handle when paired with the Cummins QSB5.9?  recreational usage.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Using a ZF220A on new  QSB 6.7 425 (max rated at 417BHP 3070RPM)  is a no brainer for me. Prop the engine at  400HP/3100-3150 RPM ( 85-90% load at 3000 RPM) and you’ll never look back.

Robb Hanold
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bonas IV

Thanks Tony,  I’m in Southern New Jersey and will be seeking repower soon as I have 8.2TI Detroits (300 Hp) and lost one last November.  I used the boat as a summer condo this year with fuel at $6/gal, but don’t think I can do that much longer.  Need to be moving!!  I have a really nice engine room, but it is short in length and going from a V8 to inline 6 reduces my options.  I only have 5″ in front of the engines and the 5.9 with a ZF220A is only 2″ longer from flange to front than my 8.2’s.  To go to a ZF85, is a little longer and I don’t have the space.  I’m certain the Cummin 5.9QSBs will fit with the ZF220A gear, just wondering the max HP I can go.  You know all the options with them and was wondering if the 425 versions were OK.  Thanks for your input, I’ll keep it under 400 as I look.  I’m not looking for super speed, but may as well have all the HP available if needed.    The boat is a Navigator 42 Classic.  Expect to hear from me in the future as I have joined your site, read countless advice pieces already and will be purchasing SMX items as I go through the repower.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Per the book——–400HP max regardless of the RPM…………..Past long term experience tells me 475 BHP  3400-3475 is not an  issue if all is right as to the installation.. Solid gear.,

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.