• Creator
    Topic

Jeremy Bendler
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Schedule Sea
    Engines: QSM11 670s

I was 80 miles offshore fishing for swordfish yesterday. Mid-day we had a fish on and I tried to bump the port engine forward. The throttle responded to the lever, but the transmission did not shift from neutral to forward. I ran up to the tower and took control there, and experienced the same. Port control lever did not engage forward on port transmission.

ZF electronic control units in engine room did not show any codes. Reverse worked fine on the Port side. Starboard controls worked fine.

I switched the forward and reverse plugs on the port transmission. This enabled me to engage both forward and reverse, but the control was inverted (moving control lever forward engaged the transmission in reverse). I ran home at the end of the day with the port control lever down and the starboard lever up. This was fun at the dock.

Engines are 2005 QSM11 660s and transmissions are 2005 ZF 325-1A. Controls are all electronic ZF.

I believe I need to replace this: https://www.sbmar.com/product/zf-electronic-shift-solenoid-wire-cap/.

My question is: Why are there no prongs sticking out of this part? Are the prongs part of the wires that lead into this cap? If that is the case, could my issue be a wire, rather than the part I linked above?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. We landed 5 swordfish, released 2 and kept 3, and made it home safely.

Thanks, Jeremy

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

No such thing as a dumb question that we all can learn from..

Locked out?. Nope — most likely a temp browser issue.. I personally get dumped sometimes.. Maybe it’s my “wry humor” someone called me on recently.

Tony

Jeremy Bendler
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Schedule Sea
    Engines: QSM11 670s

Solenoid plug was broken inside. Replaced plug and it’s all fixed. Ran the boat from OCMD to Baltimore yesterday with no issues. $5 part.

Pic of broken solenoid plug attached.

I got locked out of this forum for a few days. Probably for asking a dumb question.

Thanks for your help.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Remove the phillips screw–Pull the cap off and take/post good pics if what you see? It will all make sense then.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.