• Creator
    Topic

Bill kosky
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paula iv
    Engines: Yanmar 6lya stp

Buying a boat with a 440 yanmar 6ly2a with 650 hours. Going to have head and valves replaced because of problems that the 440 has had , this engine has not had tjat issue.Anything else I should be concerned about with this engine. 2006 engine.

Thanks

Bill

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill kosky
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paula iv
    Engines: Yanmar 6lya stp

440 Yanmar

Thank you Tony, I am flying up to Maine Tuesday, and I will take pictures of the motor, exhaust, etc. and post. Seller was very conscientious, as I am with my 370, and he has had coolers serviced, anti freeze I will check and she is propped properly. He only cruised from 2200 to 2800 but mostly at lower rpms.

Now I am having the seller replace the head and the valves , this will be done by Lyman -Morse an authorized Yanmar dealer.

Do you have any knowledge whether Yanmar has replacement heads for this ? I am sure Lyman -morse will know but it would be good for me to know ?

Thank you very much. I will post pictures next week , Friday when I return.

Regards,

Bill

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You say “buying” – what stage is the deal in? Have you had a mechanical inspection? If so, redact any personal information from it and post it here. Feel free to do the same with the hull survey if you wish.

The reman head should have inconel valves but when I studied this engine I was advised by Mack Boring that engines after serial number M56928 (circa 2005) should have come from the factory with inconel valves. Your serial number is later than this, right? Has it’s life thus far been in an overloaded condition?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1————————–Post some really good pictures of the engines/turbos and current exhaust..Lets me have a good look.. My eyes miss very little if you really let me see.

Other concerns?—–100% yes..

LOADING: These engines need to reach real close to an ACCURATE 3450 +RPM with the vessel loaded as you use it, AND reach it EASY.. Look at the attached..

COOLANT: These engines are very sensitive to coolant make-up.. Yanmar has plenty of bulletins on this–Do some research.

SEAWATER SYSTEM: These engine have a very complex seawater coolant side–IMO, each of these components needs to properly serviced “on the bench” every 2-3 years if in saltwater, regardless of engine hours.

Let’s start with that ans see how you do helping us help you.

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.