• Creator
    Topic

Paul
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Changes in L'Attitudes
    Engines: Twin Cummins 330HP 6BTA 5.9-M-3

1999 Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M-3 330HP<br />Currently tacho is fed off alternator – DELCO 15 SI Option.

Would like to replace with magnetic pickup per Tony’s “How To Install a Magnetic Pickup to Drive a Tachometer” tip.  <br /><br />Everything seems straight forward in the Tip wte of final wiring/hook up.  Would I need to purchase a new wiring harness and run it up to the helm, or is there some way to ‘use’ the current three wire (Tach Drive/Indicator Light/Voltage Sensing) wire that ‘plugs into’ the alternator.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Wire color is secondary–It’s where they come from,  what they do, and where they go..

If you have a Boat builder OEM harness ( looks like you do) then your colors do not match the Cummins factory diagrams

Paul
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Changes in L'Attitudes
    Engines: Twin Cummins 330HP 6BTA 5.9-M-3

Matching up wires

Thanks Tony …

Looks like my ‘wires out’ are Brownish/Purple, Orange, and Black (see pic). 

Bit different than the wiring diagram I have for the engine/alternator combo (pg D-16 Wiring Diagram (B Series)).  Which shows Brown, Red and Orange. Did not realize it would require a different style tach … might be driving the project into the ‘I’ll just keep putting up with what I have’ range.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Paul,

You will not need a new harness.. You’ll have plenty of wires to run.. You’ll just need to “juggle a few” wires/connections…  The grey wire in the tach wire, plus you most likely have a pair ( pink w/ black) that you are not using besides……  But you will have to (most likely) change your tach as the mag-pick up is sending a different type of signal..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.