• Creator
    Topic

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Hello All, I keep getting on alarm that there is water in the fuel. I still have Racor fuel filters. These are the sensors that I found in them when I took them apart to service them. There was no water in them. I see from another post there is a jumper that can be made to eliminate this water in fuel sensor. If you can get me a part number I would love to order a pair. Thanks George

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

George Forrer
    Participant

The code is 418 Water in fuel. Thanks

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

OK… let me know when you have the fault code verified…

George Forrer
    Participant

Thanks Kevin. Yes that is the same as my wire that I unplugged my sensor from. Corey I believe the code is 415 I will check it on Wednesday when I am at the boat. Thanks

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

The alarms you’re experiencing should not be happening, I suspect by looking at your harnessing that you’re dealing with a “wiring” issue and not a false-positive issue. I would recommend replacing the wiring harnesses and sensors. If you send me the EXACT fault code you’re receiving I can verify my suspicions.

The RACOR Y harness is comprised of 3 components, the Y harness, the WIF sensor, and a terminating resistor that gives the paralleled circuit the proper overall resistance. If one component in that physical circuit is not right, the computer will bark at you.

Send me the exact code if you can and I’ll let you know.

Corey

KevinS
    Participant
    Vessel Name: PITOU
    Engines: Cummins - QSC 8.3

Is this a new issue or ongoing?

Here are pictures of my WIF harness from QSC to Racor. It appears, but I am guessing, that the harness has some sort of resistor built in on the Racor side of the harness. These pictures might help you for comparison.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

George Forrer
    Participant

No I only have one filter per motor so I would be looking at taking the alarm out all together. I have a pretty good handle on my fuel not to say it canā€™t have water in it. I pick it up from the rack in the truck and put it right in my boat. So I know the tank on the truck is clean. Thanks for the tip about the antifreeze I will look into that. George

Shootist
    Participant

Had same problem

Do you have dual Racors with WIF sensors on each engine? My OEM install had WIF in one and not the second. The engine system has connections for two on each engine however the jumper had not been installed in the second. Given the damage water can cause in this HP system, and that I have a pair of Racors to switch between for each engine, I opted for a sensor in each. Cummins does make a jumper to eliminate the WIF sensors however I would not remove WIF sensors from your fuel system. It may be that you’ve only one filter with WIF and need to jump out the second to stop the alarms?

Now, the low coolant sensor should be removed and bypassed. They have a history (I was told by Cummins) of failure, which includes leaking into the wire loom and taking out the entire computer. One of mine kept coding while fluid level was fine. Cummins said that’s common and better to remove as was a “feature” added for marketing that’s not worked out so well.

Hope that helps

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.