• Creator
    Topic

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: STAR
    Engines: Qsc 8.3

Ive got a pair of qsc 8.3 2006 model engines.. I need everything but the pigtail that comes off the engines. Please let me know if you know the model # or anything in regards to what you may have or use. Im told I need the black vip boxes, but dont know if all black vip boxes are compatible with all qsc 8.3’s?

Also need harnessing to wheelhouse and want electric controls (using zf gears)

See photos for info or feel free to ask.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Engines

I completely forgot to explain the history of mains.

The qsc 8.3 motors came out of a sea ray which spent alot of time in brackish water and low rpm situations . It was a insurance job. Basically a vessel next to it caught fire, caused the wheelhouse of the vessel these motors came from to burn. The motors and computers ive personally witnessed run on a certified cummins tech out of north carolina.

They have just over 500hrs each, and had the aftercoolers removed, flushed, and services related (zincs, seals, ect) done at that time. Also the motors got a new paint job, and air intake services.Ā  Ive purchased new impellers for each. The individual (Troy) who sold these to me has been completely open to questions and has brought in his friend (the certified tech) for the day so he could run the motors on his computer, which is qhen the freshwater was introduced to the cooling sytem.

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Yes!!! Wonderful ideas!

I like the way you think tony.

These transmissions got ordered through the dealer in oerth amboy nj. They will be “new in the box” so i do eant to go that route (adding electric shift). Do you sell the parts needed? (2 transmissions).

I also like the rest of what you mentioned on the wiring side. Glendenning, and the ability to have a company who supports thier products.Ā 

Please feel free to email me a quote on the parts you can offer to sell me, or what i may need to out source.Ā 

Very much the way if like to go.

[email protected]Ā 

Again thank you for your time.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your pics show you have early the earliestĀ  Mercury “Smart Crap” 1.0Ā  electronics ……………..ZERO support.. Don’t waste your $$ trying to deal with it.. Go SAE J1939 all the away to the dash ( 1 harness,Ā  1 plug/10 wires) –Then,Ā  NEMA 2000 withĀ  BIG fancy MFDĀ  is simple withĀ  many options / choices..

Curious–Full history of the engines?Ā  Internal condition of the aftercoolers?Ā  That is super important as regardless of the hours, Mother Nature never stops doing her thing unless they have been stored with coolant or fresh water on theĀ  seawater side.

Tony Athens

Converting a ZF286A from mechanical to electronic is a viable option if done when still 100% NEW (like stillĀ  in the box) .. Not sure who you bought them from, but if a ZFĀ  like similar toĀ  us, maybe a $800 option each..Ā  Ā Then dual station single lever is easy using an product like Glendinning EEC 4’s.

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Now your wisdom… will definitely be needed..lol

Ok, so…

We ordered machanical transmissions (zf286a).

This agian is my doing- at the time of order (6 months ago) i was extremely tight on cash and was advised based off me trying to save money..

Hopefully thier is a solution you have for my machanical shift transmissions and electronic motors to get the “single controle” for each side..?

Please let me know if im leaving anything out.

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Good questions.

The company doing the install is Forked river Diesel. Based out of forked river nj. Theybare certified shop in many makes including cummins.. John Lane is very well recommended and has assisted me along as a family friend.Ā 

This all being said i have been “passive” (which i realize is not the norm for high strung people spending large amounts of money) because i trust him immensely.Ā 

I do know his rep was told to order zf gears and i explained i wanted electronic shift. But was also told that being as i had machanical shift already it would be cheaper to keep the shifters i have-with what was more or less a electric sender to the trans..Ā  so I’m assuming his rep ordered electric.Ā  Please bear with me as im waiting for a reply during the weekend.Ā 

I have (1) used vessel view display (sent in previous post) with no wiring at all except the pigtail that comes off the motors. (Picture below).

Ill send a reply as soon as i know the trans..Ā 

Again im trying to go complete electric controls and get rid of everything at the helm now if the trans ordered is electric.Ā 

Thank for your patience.Ā 

Tony Athens

Who is guiding you in this endeavor. .

Ordering transmissionĀ  and not knowing what you ordered tells me someone is not doing any homework.Ā  Ā 

The helm station pics shows twin engine mechanical control split levers.Ā 

What engines and gear are in the vessel now?

Who is overseeing the repower and making the importantĀ  “command decisions” as ho how it moves fwd? Ā 

As to Vessel Views?–One display or two displays?Ā  Used, new? Any harnessing?

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Display update..

I forgot to mention i was given a vesselview “smartcraft” display with the sale of these motors.

Im not sure if its best to build the sytem from/to the motor from it, or if its “better” to start from scratch with another plan?

Again,Ā  thank you so much for your insight.

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Some more info

So im waiting to talk with my dealer about the zf 286a they ordered for my transmissions (electronic or macanical) i wanted electronic so hopefully thats what is on order.

I have currently a single station but would like daul (one upstairs/one on back deck).

The engines i believe are electronic but I’m not sure how to check that?

As far as the keeping it less wires i couldn’t agree more.

I do not have any controls but want single lever (not shift/fuel) being as i operate for a living and am extremely tired of vessels being installed with a separate fuel lever. Couldn’t handle it on my own.

See pics please for layout.

1989 henriques.Ā 

Thank you so much!

Ryan Namowitz
    Participant

Thank you so much for answering back with what im sure is a crazy busy schedule.

Im heading down to the boat tomorrow and will have a reply early afternoon.

Wonderful to hear such knowledgeable/insight.

I can tell you id love dual station, with the idea you mentioned (simple less wires) probably also a much cheeper way to go.

Looking forward to sending you pics details.

Tony Athens

Getting Mercury SmartCrap parts

#1–You needĀ  tell us single or dual station

#2–Specify control system for engines & gears–Mechanical or electronic

#3– Good pictures of the helm station (s) from 3-6 ft away ..Need to see what will “FIT” or not fit

#4–You do not need any of the Mercury SmartCrap stuffĀ  if you go parent SAE J1939Ā  and/or MEMA 2000Ā  —Ā  10 wires /one harness to the dash,Ā  vs. 50 ++ wires , 20++ plugs, and multiple expensive harnesses , VIP box, etc etc.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.