• Creator
    Topic

Roderick James Eakins
    Participant
    Vessel Name: POSEIDON
    Engines: QSB 5.9 425HP

I have a 2009 Grand Banks 41EU with QSB 5.9 425HP motors and Zeus Pod drives. In February 2023 I made a 130NM journey across Bass Strait to see The Hobart Wooden Boat Festival (in very rough weather). About half way across the stbd motor alarms sounded and showed several fault messages going into limp mode at 600rpm (it has done this previously when the trim tab actuator leaked oil). We kept this motor running to help progress out journey.

Our speed was obviously slowed down and we did not get to an anchorage until 9:15 pm. When we stopped an enormous quantity of steam was pouring from the engine room vents which we had not seen in the dark moonless night. The port motor turbo was cooked looking as if it had been in a furnace, the pressure regulator had sprayed oil around the engine room, cooling water was in various floor compartments and the plastic cooling water fill tank had melted. The whole engine looked a mess.

Ā In retrospect we realised a leak had occured in one of the heater hoses ( the motor had been serviced the week before) allowing the motor to discharge cooling water and grossly overheat.Ā  Because the stbd motor alarms were sounding we had not noticed any extra alarms sounding, aided by the dark night and heavy swell.

The question I now ask myself is how should I have been aware of of the port motor problems, the temperature gauge being the only indication of any potential trouble.

Rod Eakins

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Major QSB 5.9 Overheat

My question would be what has transpired as to engines repairs, etc since February ?–From what you posted I’d typically see a cracked turbo casting and maybe even the exhaust manifold ,Ā  besides various gaskets etc..

Very serious overheat that the alarms sounded but there was no response for a long time???Ā  Kinda confused on what happened, but it seems the engine did try to “tell a story” that needed to be addressed sooner than later?. The crap weather certainly added to it all.. This is a tough one!

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

I think the big take-away here (lesson) is in rough seas it is very difficult to diagnose a problem.Ā  I dont know what access you have to the engine room is but it sounds like you did not even take a peek until you got back to port.

In my honest opinion, I think you guys are lucky.Ā  Rough seas, darkness, “murphys law”…etc…

Your Temperature gauge showing HOT would be enough for most of us to investigate immediately.Ā  IMMEDIATELY.Ā  I dont know what else you would need.

High Temperature audible alarm and a good temperature gauge is all that was needed to diagnose your problem.

If you could have found the leak it could have been resolved, water added to the cooling system and on your way.Ā  Now sounds like you need a Turbo, maybe a headgasket and a ton of cleaning among other things.

1969Roamer46
    Participant
    Engines: 1999 6CTA M2 420

Everybody’s got their own set of rules, but I learned from many old geezers to never stick to a schedule unless there’s more money on the line than you value your life. So one of my iron-clad rules is to never leave port in rough weather.

Another rule is that if something’s not right, including alarms going off, immediately go figure out what the problem is and mitigate it. In calm weather, have the Admiral keep an eye out and leave the engines idling in neutral. In friskier weather, have the Admiral take the helm with just enough power applied to keep the bow into the wind and waves. But figure out what’s wrong before you continue under way.

I developed my personal list of rulesĀ  after something bad happened that I never wanted to repeat. I was extremely fortunate in that none of the bad things ended up being catastrophic. Hopefully your engine survived.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Not sure what your current alarm system consists of but in my opinion this is the only way:

Redundant Alarms – The Least Expensive Engine Insurance

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.