• Creator
    Topic

scott3
    Participant

I recently got some bad fuel and the racor water separator apparently worked as intended and shut down the fuel flow on the stbd engine. Once the water was purged, the engine was restarted. However, it had noticeable vibration at 2200 rpms that didnā€™t exist before. Little to no vibration at 1100 rpms. The port engine was unaffected. Twin 6CTA 450ā€™s. Could water have damaged the injectors?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

scott3
    Participant

Tony, thank you very much for the insight.

I will definitely install primary bulk seperators as suggested.

I have not cut the last chance filter yet but will do so. I assume the water came from recent fueling as the racors showed no water the day before the incident when I last took on fuel.

What would u expect to be the likely cause of the vibration, assuming it is related to the water?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1——————You need better fuel filtration –Do some reading on this web site as to adding an addition layer of protection in front of your Racor.

#2—————-I really doubt your Racor shut your engine down.. The water that made it to your injection pump/system would be a more likely scenario,.. Are you saying nothing was in the last chance “on-engine filter? You cut it open made sure nothing was in it? For others reading, that is #1 paramount when you suspect something made it to the engine..

#3—————the fact that engine does run is good. You got lucky

#4————–Definitely, the injectors go first as to water damage, but it did not help your pump either & may also have some internal damage. The higher the engine load when water 1st makes it thru the system & into the injection system, the greater chance of more damage.

5#—–You are sure the water/crud came from the fuel supplier?

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.