• Creator
    Topic

DeWayne Enyeart
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Buster
    Engines: Cummins 6BT5.9-M

The Cummins OEM analog marine panel on my trawler has one blank VDO gauge space that I want to use for a combination boost/pyro gauge. The hole size for the ISSPRO SMX Marine Boost/Pyro (EGT) Turbocator Gauge Kit is too large for the VDO gauge space. I have been unable to find this combination in a VDO gauge. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Install a VDO Gear PSI guage at the open location in the Cummins panel and then the SMX boost/pyro unit off to either side.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

If I had to choose a gauge and could only pick one, I would prefer to see boost over EGT although both are highly correlated. Low boost indications will give you a good idea that it’s either time to service that aftercooler or perhaps take a peek at the exhaust side of your turbo for possible bypass…

DeWayne Enyeart
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Buster
    Engines: Cummins 6BT5.9-M

The VDO website lists over 40 single function gauges but no combined boost/pyro gauge. I am considering ordering either the boost or the pyro gauge to fill the blank space on the instrument panel. There is very little open real estate at the helm for the SMX combination gauge. Do you have a preference between these two gauges or another higher priority gauge recommendation?
    Thanks

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If it’s any help as to using the available real estate at your helm – the EGT/Boost does not need to be “in your face” such as coolant temp, etc. I always leave the dead ahead spaces for the “must be there” items.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

You’ll need to source a gauge that has those two parameters in one 2″ gauge… doubt it exists but you never know! The Internet will be your best resource on this adventure.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.