• Creator
    Topic

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Hi Guys

So 3 years after having my turbos recon’d and 3 years passing in a flash and not having time to address the ‘risers’ I noticed when doing some minor maintenance that 3 of the 4 turbo to elbow bolts had snapped off (big patch of soot)

I have removed the elbow and there is no evidence of rust / water getting up into the dry section, manifold is clean too, so can only assume turbo corrosion is damp salt air (yes fresh water flush is also on the list)

Basically what has happened is the face mating with the elbow has swelled forcing the elbow away from it, snapping the bolts – this particular turbo was only skimmed internally and rebuilt, so still cast metal. My turbo guy sleeved the other one with a better quality metal (cant remember the grade) and will now do the same to this one.

So apart from the fact it is my own fault for not fixing the exhaust system (please I know Im dumb but time hasnt allowed it and I accept the consequences) I have a few questions…

Turbo Bolt size – Cant find the spec and need to get some locally..

Ceramic coating – local company do a lot – say it helps with heat and corrosion – a lot. Heat I can see being a massive issue as the manifold is water cooled so EGT’s shouldnt be mad post turbo. What are your thoughts.. its not super expensive and the local guys have some very high tech coatings.

Steve

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Hi Tony

The turbo is with the turbo guy so I cant get a picture. I know its damp, whether air or water.. its my fault and I accept full responsibility for not fixing the crap exhaust design in the time I have had.. Even if I had a picture you would tell me its water, fix the exhaust šŸ™‚ Ive read and been around the forum to know its wrong and needs fixing, my business, 4 year old and everything stops me from fixing it properly – for now! This year I will get it done!

Do you have any views on ceramic coating? Have you tried it at all?

Steve

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

POST a clear picture inside the exhaust side of the turbo–I want to see what you “see”

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.