• Creator
    Topic

lawrencekahlden
    Participant

I have a 2007 Searay Sundancer. I have had great help on this forum before.   After many years of very few issuse since I have a great company doing service on my boat I have had a very bad year. 

Well I bring the boat to the dealership after waiting 4 months since everyone else is booked.  I needed 2 battery chargers replaced.  I picked the boat up today after spending 2000 to get them put and wiring replaced also. I pull out and my starboard engine will not engage at all.  I had a strong current coming in at me and a low tide. I could not turn toward the port.  I turned off and restarted my starboard engine but it would not engage.  So I used my port engine as good as I could to keep from hitting parked boats and ended up being able to dock it at a private area dock near the dealership.  So got it towed back. They claim they only touched the battery chargers.  So how can a transmission go bad sitting there?  I am stating that but they have not looked at it yet.  I do know when I shifted in gear the shaft wasnt turning. So it has be somewhere from the shaft to the shifter?  Maybe solenoids?  I would like to at least to be able to ask smart questions to make sure they cant BS me as I am not the greatest mechanic.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  My first guess is solenoid but really have no clue. 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

lawrencekahlden
    Participant

Well just got back.  So I get there and they said a screw had come off and a wire had loosened off.  Well I only took the red and black wires from the charger to the batteries off when the charger died.  I touched nothing else.  They searched for 5 hours looking and backtracking and found one screw missing on the bar below the charger on the bulkhead.  So they were going to charge 500 but then said they would reduce it. I asked why and then pointed out the 2 wires I had disconnected.  Well in the end they let it go for zero and I am home.  Thanks to all on here for your help. This place is the best!!

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

LK,

you have V-Drives correct? Those chargers are on the bulkhead very near those transmissions?  Do you have the separate shifters and throttles?   The 4 gold knob levers not the controls that are shift and throttle in the same lever?  They might very well have bumped the linkage while they were in there replacing the chargers.   I believe you have cable linked shifters like our 40 did.  Take some good clear picks like Rob asked but also take some good picks of the broader trans area and we might be able to see something specific and make a recommendation.  <br /><br />I hope it is relatively simple and we can help get you running again. 

lawrencekahlden
    Participant

Sorry and thanks. i will get back with that.  I am going to be at the shop when they open.  I am getting it out of there asap and bringing it home and will wait on my mechanic who is pretty backed up but I trust. All I know is I brought it in to only get both battery chargers replaced and go to pick it up and the starboard engine wont engage.  Something funny is going on as I have never ever had any issue related to that.  But I do understand I need to supply more info for a forum. Thanks

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Not enough info to comment.  Need pics of your controls (aka throttles/shifters) and the transmissions.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.