• Creator
    Topic

Steve
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cabrillo
    Engines: QSB 5.9 425hp

Sirs,
    I have a QSB 5.9 to ZF 85A with an ATF weep. It looks to becoming from a join under the port mounting bracket. It runs down the seam to the bottom of the transmission. Not yet enough to require adding fluid but I want to address it asap. All bolts are as tight as I can get them with a standard wrench. Is this a gasket replacement job or much more involved? Can this be resolved in the slip?
    Thank You

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Glad you sorted it out……………………All is good.

Steve
    Participant

Issue Solved

This is going to be embarrassing but I owe it to this forum to close my post out. It turns out I had no ZF seam weep after all.

Red K&N oil applied to my Airsep would ever so slowly drip onto the transmission mounting bracket. It seeped down between the bracket and the transmission, then along the bottom seam to finally drip into the bilge diaper.

I missed it because the mounting bracket is black and the oil left no noticeable residue on it. It seemed the oil just emerged from under the bracket. Also, from where I sit in the engine room, seeing the very bottom of the Airsep requires a challenging yoga pose.

I finally discovered it when I saw it drip onto the bracket and confirmed it after taking the boat out a few times.

Sorry about error but I truly attention and appreciate the assistance.

Steve
    Participant

Will Do…I’ll start with the bolt closest to the weep, WWM for a few outings, then proceed to another bolt as necessary. I’ll report back on the results. Thanks Much and Wish Me Luck!
    Steve

Tony Athens

What I am thinking. One or all of the bolts that go into the gear case are too long and of one of them bottomed cracked something, or the case has a defect in the manufacturing process in the thread.

Pull each one (one at a time) and check a few things like length vs depth.. If it seems too long shorten it a thread or so ( or add a washer) .. Clean all ( wick out any ATF) and use RectorSeal TRU- BLUE as as assembly goop.. Clean all and WWM..

You might get lucky (or maybe save an un-lucky issue that popped up that I doubt you’d get anyone to stand behind) .

Tony

Steve
    Participant

Yes sir. You are correct. That view is looking up from under the bracket that holds the transmission to the port stringer.

Tony Athens

Look at the attached pic–I named it as I think it is–Is that correct?
    Looking up from under the gear bracket.

Confirm that this is what I am looking at.

I have an idea that is not so good, but bandaid-a-ble.

Tony

Steve
    Participant

Are these the angles youā€™re looking for?

I inspected all the wires, hoses and the gear valve assembly and found no atf.

What do you think?

Tony Athens

Send me the pic that shows the gear valve and harnesses that go to it –High-res ….clear and in focus as .jpg attachments….Think it may be from something there and it’s capillaring down the harnesses?…………..

If it is coming from the case SEAM , you are not in good shape.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.