• Creator
    Topic

David Forrest
    Participant
    Vessel Name: David Forrest
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550HP

Searched a bunch but still need some advice.

I purchased new Centa CF-r torsional coupling for a 280 1a gear from here.

Went to install but the instructions that came with the coupling were pretty confusing.   Seems like the directions are starting as if the coupling is disassembled?  pics included  Mine came in one piece but there was some washers and a strap in a bag?  Washers i get but not sure about the strap?  Must be for assembly?

Also not sure about checking axial play.  I understand this during an engine rebuild but how does that apply here?  Instructions say “check there is axial play in each direction of the engine crankshaft to ensure the engine thrust bearings are not loaded. record the result”     I’m not sure exactly what that means.

Went ahead and installed it as it looked pretty straightforward .  Am I missing anything special?

see pics

Dave

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

CFR ZF 280 Series Torsional Coupling

Your particular CFR coupling would have come fully assembled and ready to install–Ignore the “instructions and strap”.. Washers are used on the attachment bolts.  Lube all with at lease a full tablespoon on common lithium grease inside the spline cavity and on the male spline too (which needs a “O” ring  on it to keep the grese in the spline.. Nothing to measure–it all takes care of itself 

willyok
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Aloha Lady
    Engines: Yanmar 6LY-UTE

yes, checked from the front.

David Forrest
    Participant
    Vessel Name: David Forrest
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550HP

But how to you check that?   If you bolt the coupling to the flywheel and then push the gear splines into the coupling and bolt up .  how do you check it after that?  By turning the crank from the front of the motor?

willyok
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Aloha Lady
    Engines: Yanmar 6LY-UTE

The axial play is mentioned to ensure the splines are not binding up and forcing the the crankshaft forward and that the correct coupling was installed. I checked it once after a particularly hard install just to be sure. 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.