• Creator
    Topic

Larry Stapleton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: None
    Engines: 6BT 5.9 370

I have a 350 SeaRay repowered with  Cummins 6BT 370.  Had a couple of broken valve springs when I bought it.  Pulled head and had it reworked.  After installing and running in slip for several hours, took it our for a sea trial.  Ran great.  Next day when to crank it, and it pushed oil out the dip stick.  Water in the oil.  First thought, head gasket.  No loss of coolant so that’s not it.  Next thought aftercooler.  Serviced it while the head was being reworked.  Little trace of water in the bottom, not the problem.  Read your articles on exhaust.  Turbo had some rust on the flange.  I had it surfaced.  Got me to thinking.  I did mark the exhaust elbow when I took it off.  The position I put it back on was maybe 5 degrees towards horizontal.  I readjusted it and now have about 5 degrees lower that it originally was.  Like you say in your article, use gravity.  I have not taken back out since as I work 7 on 7 off and this is my on week.  Next week I plan on running it and seeing if it sucks water back in the engine again.  By the way I sucked all the water out, put 2 gallons of oil and gallon of diesel fuel in the crankcase, replaced filter.  Let it run at idle for about 5 minutes.  Sucked that out changed oil and filter, ran that for 30 minutes and did it again.  With all that here is my question.  I think the exhaust design is flawed.  I have enough room to modify the elbow to sweep up 90 degrees, fun about 8-10 inches up and then to the mixing elbow.  this would give some height and allow gravity to work better.  Here are some pics.  Am I on the right track?  Thank you Tony for your input.  And anybody else that has some experience with this.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Larry Stapleton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: None
    Engines: 6BT 5.9 370

Thanks for the input.  I am suspect of the design of the exhaust especially with the 90 degree turn before going in the muffler.  Classic make the engine fit when the boat was repowered with diesels.  On my off days I will pull the elbow and take some pictures of the exhaust exit at the turbo.  On a redesign, my thoughts were to remount the muffler, or fiberglass and relocate the inlet so that the inlet were at more of straight in approach from the exhaust mixing elbow, doing away with the 90 and having a straight run into the muffler.  My  thoughts on the mixing elbow were to use your design on the yellowfin and turn the mixing elbow towards the muffler inlet, and using all the height I can in the engine compartment. IMG_1861Yellowtail riser

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Larry,

You are kidding me right?  You are going to try and bend a rod a again?

Take off your exhaust elbows and let me see inside your exhaust outlets..Clear & INFOCUS pictures.

Don’t push your luck any more–Your exhaust needs a compete redesign…

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.