• Creator
    Topic

john maybeck
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wasabi
    Engines: qsb 5.9

Recon QSB 5.9-425hp 425 hrs
    Recently ran for 5 hours at 2600 while temp held steady at 178. return trip at 4 hours it bumped up to 181-183. I backed off to 2500 and it resumed back to 178. This occurred a few weeks before so I installed new 165 stat which had same result.Should I be concerned about a few degrees fluctuation?
    The AC was serviced at 250 hrs but the HX has not yet.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

480CE Temps

My baseline on my 480CE’s has been 159/161 on plane(2150rpm) since the beginning of the season. 2 weeks ago things changed a bit and I do not know why. Now they run 159/165. Still WELL within spec but something caused the 4degree climb on strbd. I figure this could be a bunch of different things as I had the entire cooling circuit serviced back in June/July once our mechanic had time on his schedule. We acquired the boat in late April.

Strainers are clean, fuel burn has not changed. Ambient temps and humidity went up. Ohio has had 2 weeks of hot/humid weather(for us) and we are now cooling off. Will make note of the starboard engine temps with the ambient back in the mid70’s low 80’s. Water temps have been a pretty consistent 78F. Port engine is fine. Starboard crept up a little.

Not worried but as an engineer I do like to know what is going on when things deviate from the established baseline.

Cleveland Airshow is this weekend. 2.5hrs running in each direction. We will definitely know something after that run into downtown and back.

Will advise after the long weekend.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Tim

pmerklinger59
    Participant

temp 5.9 380 HO

My port and starboard temps do the same thing, i just thought this was normal 179- 183 degrees all depending on load . I have serviced the complete raw water system over the winter. You maybe chasing something that is normal?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I would call that a temp creep, not a spike. Since you changed the tstat with no change in running temps you have proved that it is the sea water side that needs attention.

250 hours since last servicing of your aftercooler does not tell us much of anything. For some recreational users that could be 5 years in salt water. You can count on one hand the number of things in your engine room that can be scheduled an an “engine-hour” basis, all else falls into the marine age calendar which is a clock that is always ticking.

You need to go through the entire seawater circuit, everything starting at the thru-hull intake.
    How long ago was the 250 hours for the aftercooler servicing?
    Do you know the history on anything else?
    The seawater pump/impeller?
    Is she slipped in the salt, or in brackish water?
    Do you fresh water flush?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.