• Creator
    Topic

Bradley Tiller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bruiser
    Engines: 6bta 5.9 250hp

I have 6bta5.9 250hp. Stbd expansion tank at cruise maintains same temp as block (190-195 degrees) which is about 10 degrees higher than the port engine.  New raw water pump, and thermostat,  less than 50 hrs.  Heat exchangers boiled out also.  Any idea as to what is the problem? 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Don’t forget that leftover impeller bits like to hide on the INTAKE side of the pump, and can create mysteriously intermittent blockage to the pump intake while running, but disappear when the motor is off.
    You might try taking the intake hose off at the strainer end and backflushing it.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You jumped on an existing post rather than creating your own new topic?… Corey may change that.

Have you tried switching senders and/or gauges ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

6 CTA 8.3 over heating

I have just went through both engines purchased new heat exchangers aftercoolers and trains oil coolers from sbmar. Thank you all new hoses clamps and fluild changes changes raw water pump impellers . All was going great for 100 hours then my port engine begain heating up from 180 to 215 pushing 220. I backed it down and temperature returned to 180.and returned quickly within minutes. I went after raw water impeller and changed it although it looked good took it out and it did the same. now changed the two thermostats the cummins used before that i put old ones on hot water and they opened at 160 they were also stamped 160 . then went with new water pump as i never changed that although it looked good and no blockage in cavity behind pump in block. I am not really loosing any coolant i see in reservoir tank. Im lost now Strainers and intake were clean too check those first. Any ideas?

Harry Alverio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Salty
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 370

Check intake, strainer , trans oil cooler, the impeller rubbing with raw water housing,trans cooler( some times zincs get stucked) also some thermostat come defective, chech air in the coolant system and in the raw water system, prop with criters.  I recently had increased runing temp found 2 bad injectors , fixit and temp went back to 180 in trolling and 190 wot. Iam not a mechanic Just my 2 cents. 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

This is a new development or always been the case?  Anything plumbed off the starboard coolant loop such as a water heater – they could act as another heat exchanger…?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.