• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Noticed this leak when winterizing things in aft bilge. First picture is of piston and mount about a year and a half ago and second is about one month ago.seems to be grease coming out at the mid point of mount didn’t see any grease fittings so I’m perplexed what’s coming out of this mount.anyone have any ideas..

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Seafirst

Bill looks like a well put together unit.ill put it on my list for santa right next to the new smx gauges.

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Bill,
    Consider looking into one of Tony’s Seafirst units. He has one that will be a direct replacement for yours.
    And they are SO superior to the SeaStar units. Just look at the construction of the Seafirst unit in my boat, in the picture above. I would especially recommend the upgrade if you plan to keep the boat for a long time.
    Bill

William Walter
    Participant

Leak

Thanks all for the reply.i checked with Tiara and found out I had a sea star pump and therefore take sea star fluid like Rob showed in picture.I thought I had atf in there based on what I used in my prior boat and what looks like red fluid in the sight tube on the right side.Therefore I will add this to my winter list and take out cylinder and change o rings.next challenge getting the parts.Bill

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Since you are out of the water for the winter, why not just pull the ram cylinder and completely rebuild it.
    Or better yet, replace it with one of Tony’s Seafirst units.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Bill,

The steering fluid is likely not red like hydraulic fluid / ATF, chances are it is a vegetable oil color – see attached.

I know you visit the boat often when she’s on the hard so why not give it a try to investigate now…you already cleaned it up, so now you just need a couple of beers & some good tunes and sit at the helm zig zagging left and right and /or cycle the AP pump from port to starboard a whole bunch of times. That may be enough to creep the leak that you can pin point it. If it’s a stubborn one it might require a growler from Greenport brewery.

Just make sure the rudders are clear..

William Walter
    Participant

Steering piston

I already cleaned the whole assembly and was going to monitor but will take pictures next time I get to boat.since I’m laid up for winter I’ll have to check things in spring.perhaps if I get time I’ll take it apart and change o rings.i would have thought if red hydraulic was leaking I’d have a more reddish color but maybe when you mix it with grease that’s what you get.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Everything you can get to on the ram, tiller, etc., etc.—–Spray all with WD-40, clean with a Scotch Brite pad, wipe all very clean, lightly spray with WD-40 again, post new “CLEANED UP PICS”, and WWM…………..

Let me see a new pics in after a few trips…..

Follow this exactly as I posted and I’ll sort it out down the road.. Right now, you are not in a “mission disabling” situation so we all have some time to figure out what maybe be going on………………….

Tony

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Ez fix

There is a rear seal [ o ring and wiper ] where the rod exits the mount. It is probably hydraulic oil + grease. That you are seeing. Take the piston off and I can help you with that.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.