• Creator
    Topic

Dan Ramirez
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Escape
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

So a couple of days ago I changed out the port impeller like I do every 2 years and the removed impeller was in perfect shape but replaced it anyway. After running the boat today, everything was working very well as usual except I noticed much more steam than usual. This is not white smoke.
    The starboard engine was showing very little steam but the port engine, much more. This is on the side I replaced the impeller. I used a infrared temperature gun and things were nice and normal. The aftercooler was not excessively hot and the engines ran just fine at 2200 rpm at 180 degrees. No signs of overheating at all. The air was cool and the water about 58 degrees. I boat in San Diego. Am I chasing dragons or is there something there I need to be concerned with? I have Cummins 6bta 5.9 330hp. Thanks for any direction

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

As I posted, yes I used an IR gun on several areas of the engine, coolers and hoses.

My IR gun comment was specific to taking readings of the wet exhaust system AFTER the engine mixer at different points in the exhaust system all the way back to the exit points to compare port to stbd

1 user thanked author for this post.

Andrew Teel
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Char-Sea
    Engines: 2006 QSB 5.9 425hp

okay. yeah just asked because couple times we had steam it was strainer sucking a bit of air. first time we changed impeller and cleaned strainers at same time and just kept thinking it had to be impeller.

Dan Ramirez
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Escape
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

As I posted, yes I used an IR gun on several areas of the engine, coolers and hoses.
    Sea strainers are clean and valves are open. I ran the boat for over 2 hours and stayed at a constant temp of 180 at the gauge.

Andrew Teel
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Char-Sea
    Engines: 2006 QSB 5.9 425hp

any internal strainers in the mix? did anything to them?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Did you use the IR Temp Gun to measure the various wet exhaust components to compare port and starboard?

What’s the service history on the seawater circuit?

And just to cover all bases – the port seawater intake seacock is fully open, right?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.