• Creator
    Topic

Bill Quinlan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Josie Rose
    Engines: Cummins QSB5.9

I’ve had a problem with the electronics on my Cummins QSB5.9-330HO.   It began with loss of throttle. Local Cummins replaced module and Medusa harness. Subsequently, I have lost throttle twice. The same tech scratched his head but couldn’t fix. Later I went to the boat and it had fixed itself. The 24 to 12 volt has blown its fuse twice. Most recently, the entire electronic controls shut down. The fuse was replaced and all powered up again. Why is the fuse blowing? Will the throttle fail again. I’m afraid of loosing the throttle offshore beyond SeaTow range. Where do I go from here?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Quinlan
    Participant

The starter is 24 volt. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You did not really asnswer my questions at all…

Do you have a 24V engine?  –That would mean a 24V alternator, 24V starter, and a 24V set of batteries that run it.

The  24-12 cunverter is only for the  Mercury Smartcrap electronics as they only work on 12 VDC ( like the outboard & gas engines where they came from)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

complete history of the engine and where it came from.

Bill Quinlan
    Participant

The boat engine runs on 12 volts after a 24 to 12 v converter. It has blown its fuse twice. This problem began with a fault code (A something) that indicated a problem with remote throttle if I remember correctly. This was about 2 years ago. <br /><br />When the engine is started, the throttle is not active. If I try again, after 4-5 tries, the throttle works. I have had the local Cummins technician here in Jacksonville, FL work on this multiple times without effect. I’m now $6000 in time and parts and it still is unreliable.

Bill Quinlan

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You have a 24VDC engine? 

Complete History of the engine?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.