• Creator
    Topic

Bill Sherburne
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Robin Lyn
    Engines: Qsl9

Qsl9. Smartcraft version 1. Vessel view display.

Gear temp overheat, gear pressure input lo, low seawater flow, fuel level1 input hi, fuel level1 input lo. Gear temp -56. Gear temp 446.

All these alarms are present with the key on, engine not running. High gear temp triggers low seawater flow alarm.
    Will the low seawater flow derate the engine
    Engine runs fine. Still have fc415. Good oil pressure on mechanical gauge.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Ok

Smartcraft says everything is OK
    Might be time for an upgrade.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

J1939 Protocol

Bill,

Your BASE engine “electronics” are SAEJ1939 Procol……………..Look it up on GOOGLE…………….

About 2001-2003 Cummins Needed MONEY and MERCURY needed a diesel good engine.. They “married” and that’s how CMD was formed..

Cummins builds a solid electronic engine using J-1939, and Mercury converted that to “SMARCRAP” electronics ( from there gassers & outboards) , and the rest is history…………………………….Luckly, it’s all EXTERNAL outside the base engine………………………We walked away from it 5+years ago and Cummins did the same 2+ years ago……………You can walk away anytime you really want to………………………………. It’s up to you..

Drop a note to corey@sbmar.com if you want options as to what you can do, but in that email, tell him what you would kike to accomplish ……………………………….Corey speaks this language like no other on this subject.

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Smartcraft is an oxymoron

Is there any way to get rid of the smartcraft wiring and go to all mechanical or electric gauges in an analog panel?
    Installed an electric temp gauge today so I can see engine temp when my vessel view is covered in alarm screen. Junk.

Bill Sherburne
    Participant

Yes almost 11000 hours

No physical seawater flow sensor or fuel level sensor.
    Gear temp and gear pressure sensors are on gear cooler and were working properly.
    Alarms were out of the blue on way in the other day.
    Watched gear temp go from 135 to 270 then drop back to 135. Low seawater flow alarm triggered when gear temp increased. Gear oil level ok.
    Removed hose from aftercooler to gear cooler. Clean no blockage.
    Cleaned seawater strainer
    Changed impeller in raw water pump
    Checked sensor connections on gear cooler, Ok.
    Reset vessel view to factory settings
    Turn key on and gear temp reads -56 then jumps around. Reads same with sensor unhooked. Alarm No sim data.
    Pictures are from the day alarm first started

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

SmartCrap alarms

Bill,

Looks like you have a QSL9 with a few 1000 hours on it? Do I have the right guy/history?

I think I do– next——————————————–Do you actually have a seawater flow sensor ( a physical sender that you can “touch & see”?, a fuel level sensor that was tied into your “Smartcrap” system that was working in the past showing to fuel level , a gear temp sensor that was working in the past that showed actual gear temp ( in the 70-180F range) , OR is JUST some new alarm that “just showed up out of the BLUE?………………………………………….

Tony,

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.