• Creator
    Topic

Werner Busch
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Triquetra
    Engines: 6bta5.9

Hi there,

as a newbie in this forum I’d like to start my first question. My Meridian 2004 408 is equipped with two 6bta5.9 370hp engines. Sometimes – in the harbour and locks, even some dutch canals – it’s too much using both engines. May I use only one engine? Is this damaging the engines or the seals/ shafts?

Regards

Werner

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Werner Busch
    Participant

I have no idea what gear the boat is equipped with. Next time aboard I will Check it. Thanks by now.Ā 

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, a hose connecting the two.Ā  See attached.Ā  But that was if you had the Tides lip seal.Ā  With the PSSĀ  you’ll be okay at the slow speeds you are looking to do.Ā 

The ZF gears such as the 85 ATF gear and the 220 SAE gear don’t care about a free wheeling prop when in tow or at anchor so this would apply here for single engine use at this slow speed you intend.Ā  What exact gear do you have?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Werner Busch
    Participant

single engine use

Hi,

I found the following in the manual of PSS shaft seals:

“Note: Twin engine boats that can exceed 12 knots on a single engine must run a<br />crossover line between seals to ensure both seals maintain water flow, while running<br />on only one engine.”

“Crossover line” means, that there need to be a hose to both of the shaft seals? When only one engine in use the waterflow of the running engine serves the other shaft as well?

bluebyu
    Participant

Also,

Some transmissions care about prop shaft spinning with engine off.

What does your transmission manual say?

Werner Busch
    Participant

Idle rpm

Hello Rob, it’s PSS dripless shaft seals, As I am not aboard at the moment I cannot sent pictures. It’s a guess that the idle rpm are at roundabout 600-700rpm. The rpm – this is when I am thinking abound using one engine only – is 1000-1400 rpm.Ā  Greetings from Germany

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Welcome Werner. The engine doesn’t care. What exact shaft seals? Ā Post some pictures of them so we can see the cooling line plumbing and any crossovers. Ā What are your engine idle speeds set to?

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.