• Creator
    Topic

Nick Wootton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Banksea
    Engines: QSB 5.9

Hi   Do people do this on QSB 5.9s? I tried today and after initial water flowed through it then all backed up and came out of entry hose instead of ‘return’ – I then tried back flushing it so from exhaust elbow end and same thing happened – could this be because not enough overall volume in bucket and therefore pump or potentially pump too aggressive – ? Any help gratefully rec’d  Didnt get to rydlyme it as only started with fresh water to check flow and return were smooth!! Doh

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Nick Wootton
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Banksea
    Engines: QSB 5.9

Thanks Steve     Yes cleaned after cooler and lubed- was clogged up hence thought about doing the rydlyme – sorry pic after attempt – did remove hoses as you explained  have not removed HX tho and cleaned – its hard here to get people that work on these things – only about 3 – 4 techs in Uk that will touch so getting anything done within a reasonable turnaround time is almost impossible i will research HX removal and clean too thought rydlyme would just be another thing worth doing thats all…may only do raw water but felt better than nothing!    

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Nick,

If you don’t mind taking a step back……   Have you followed Tony’s recommendation from about a year ago and had your aftercoolers and Heat exchangers removed from the engines, disassembled and serviced?  Rydlyme is arguably only a half measure as it only gets to the raw water side of things.  The aftercooler also has the airside that needs cleaning and it is a good idea to have the HX fully serviced if that has never been done.  Also, if the aftercooler has not been serviced ever, then it should get full service to get metal lube grease on the internal parts that touch and are not lubed at the time of original manufacturer assembly.

The picture you posted does not show the flush circuit so the only advice I can offer is to make sure that you are bypassing the Sherwood raw water pump.  I see the Sherwood pump with the intake and outlet hoses still attached.  My understanding of the Rydlyme flush is to disconnect the outlet of the raw water pump and use that hose as your entry point for the flush and then disconnect the outlet hose on the HX and and attach the return hose to the HX outlet fitting.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.