• Creator
    Topic

Rob baumgartner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Megan's ring
    Engines: 6bta 315

I have twin 6bta 315 hp my port motor is fine till I put a real load on it 2000 rpm and heats up to 200 degrees. When I slow down it drops fairly quickly. I have a new seaboard water pump, went through raw water side cleaned heat exchanger. What else should I look for. Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob baumgartner
    Participant

The pump was replaced this spring I will check into the thermostat

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

How old is the seawater pump itself in YEARS? Many wear parts internally besides the impeller and those parts are very affected by “Marine Age”.. .. If all else fails, install a 160F Hi-Flow thermostat..

Tony

Rob baumgartner
    Participant

The issue just started last month, I cleaned the heat exchanger by soaking in barnacle buster over night, I didn’t see any tubes that seemed clogged. Serviced after cooler last season by your directions last season but will do again this week. I didn’t do gear cooler because tubes looked clear but will do them this week. I did check strainer and that was clean, intake hose was replaced last year. And it’s only my port motor that’s affected. Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had same issues on 6cts coolant level was low never thought of checking since I filled after new coolers were installed but guess was never filled check that

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Did you check thru-hull pickup/strainer, in-hull strainer and intake hoses? Old wire hoses can rust and collapse, especially those with tight bends.. Old impeller pcs can also end up in the intake hose and restrict flow to pump..

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1————Timeline for History of all.. Dates of servicing’s, hours, what you did, when the issues started, etc etc etc etc

#2—–Last time you serviced the aftercooler per my protocol? Gear cooler? What did you do to the heat-X?

#3–one engine, both engines, ???????????

You are leaving 90+% out of what I’d need to help

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.