• Creator
    Topic

Dan Buckley
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Orient Star V
    Engines: Twin 671N

Greetings. I am new to this forum and I am amazed with the amount of knowledge and information that can be found here. I currently have a 50’ USCG inspected charter boat that has a pair of 250hp 671N’s. While the Detroit’s are very reliable, they are getting up there in hours and I could definitely use some more speed and a cleaner bilge. Lol. There are a few engines that have peaked my interest as far as repowering. The 350hp C series Cummins and the 320hp 3208 Caterpillar. I know the Cummins is a more modern design but will also cost quite a bit more especially for a pair of them. If I’m getting 10kts at 1550rpms with the 671s and 11kts at 1750 will either of the other engines give me much more speed at close to the same fuel burn? Any advice would be appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Either of the engines mentioned, set up right, will out perform the 6-71’s and use about 20% less fuel overall to travel at equal speeds.. IMO, Overall, the 6CTA8.3 would be a better choice.. How fast you travel will ultimately be total weight dependent..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.