• Creator
    Topic

james a marich
    Participant

what does it cost to repower a boat with a Cummins motor 5.9 or 6.7?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Repower projects most typically involve much more than just an engine swap, costs can easily double, triple or more once you get into it.
    Donā€™t want to dump ice water on your plans, but if youā€™re just starting up a charter business, it makes much more sense to start with a working vessel in good condition, even if itā€™s not exactly what you have in mind, and then later work on your dream boat after some period of profitable operation is experienced.
    Donā€™t ask me how I know…

james a marich
    Participant

Farallong

Thanks Tony, I do not have a boat yet, I’m looking for one for 6 pack charter work. I like the older Farallon’s and diesel is the way I want to go. I would like to use your services when the time comes.Jim

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The cost to repower any boat all comes down to what you are starting with as to its condition vs. what you want to end up with.. There are so many variables in-between that the answer is not like 1+1=2.. Plus since the labor cost is a such major part of any repower project, much of the total cost comes from who performs the labor — a private mechanic, a boat yard with high overhead expenses , the owner, or a combo of all 3.. Repowering a boat in your back yard on a trailer with a cover over it is way cheaper than in a yard pay yard rent. As I said, lots of variables as to a total project cost.

But from my experience, most of the Farallons I have worked on, were more like a “restoration” ( at least from the cabin aft) that just a repower.. Spending $100K using a mechanical 6BTA is usually a starting point with a boat that does not need new fuel tanks, decks & hatches. Once you talk those items and / or QSB’s, then start adding $$ in $10K-$20K increments..

Why not go about this question with a set of pictures of a specific Farallon you are looking at, and then a list of goals you want to accomplish and how and who will accomplish them———————- That’s really the only way to attempt to pin your question down.

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.