• Creator
    Topic

Mark Malnes
    Participant

Hi Gang,

My “official” first post, but I’ve learned a ton so far just by reading previous threads.

My boat has a 6BTA 220hp engine. The specs call for start battery with 1188CCA and 160min reserve. I’d like to replace the large 4D battery with something smaller and am considering 2 Lifeline G24 batteries (GPL-2400T) wired in parallel. Does this make sense? I’d love to be able to use just a single Group 31 battery for starting but can’t seem to find one with high enough CCA’s.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Mark

PS, on a somewhat related subject, I purchased and installed the SMX mechanical to digital display kit and it is absolutely incredible. I couldn’t be happier with it. Bravo SMX!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The specs call for start battery with 1188CCA

No, 1188 is MCA, the recommended CCA is 950. CCA is what you are going to find the crank batteries rated at. For example – a Deka 31 (1231PMF) at 1,000 CCA and 185 res. cap.

Mark Malnes
    Participant

I’ll be sure to double check. I may be confusing the cable distance for my start battery with my house batteries.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Remember cable length is measured for all.. All POS from the battery to the starter + lug, AND all the Neg from the battery to the Eng GND on the starter.

24″ ????

Mark Malnes
    Participant

Thank you so much for the quick response. The cable run to the main distribution bus is only about 24″ so I’m going to go with the single G31.

Cheers,
    Mark

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I don’t deal with CCA’s…………..But, 2 x good 24’s will do you right as long as the connections are solid and the total cable length (2/0) is reasonable ( maybe 6-10 ft max Neg and the same for the POS.. )

A high end 31 on short cables will be fine

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.