• Creator
    Topic

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Hello all, I thinking of looking at a boat with a pair of QSM11’s. I have read Tony’s article about the propping of these motors. I won’t be able to check that till later in the process. So the question is the motors don’t quite have 2000 hours on them yet. They are year 2000 motors. If they have been over propped this whole time other then exhaust gaskets and manifolds is there any other damage done? Anything I should look at if I go to look at it? Thanks George

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yes, if you plan on running above 1400-1500 ( wine & cheese speed) or so , and want any decent turbo /manifold life..

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Thanks for the quick response. If I get to a sea trial just to make sure I understand. Run the boat at 2000 rpm’s and if the fuel burn is higher than 19 Gals an hour I need to make prop adjustments? Thanks George

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The QSM 11 as “base engine” is as tough as nails…………….The dry version marinization design ( or actually lack of) of the manifold & turbo is the weak point……………………..The base engine does not suffer..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.