• Creator
    Topic

Robert Connolly
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Raging C's
    Engines: QSM11 HP

Was offshore a few day ago in fairly rough conditions. Noticed the Oil PSI in my Port engine was fluctuating abnormally. Shut it down and checked the dipstick to find I was at least 2 gallons short and had significant oil in my bilge. No leak on the inboard side so I made my way to the outboard side and immediately saw that the Oil fill cap on that side was on the floor and oil had blown all over. I assumed it wasn’t tight and came off due to the rough seas, but I was reading that a fill cap would be sucked down tight while an engine was running. The article mentioned CCV blockage and/or significant engine wear as possible culprits. I changed the CCV filters this year, and the engine has only 1,100 hours and runs great. Am I being paranoid? Should I just put more oil in and crank the fill caps tighter and check them more often? Thanks – Rob

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

They look about normal to what I typiaclly see when installed perĀ  the Racor/factory” set-up..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Robert Connolly
    Participant

Tony any comments on the CCV pictures?

Thanks

Robert Connolly
    Participant

That’s the type I have Clark

They still tighten down really well. I can’t even pull them off when they are cranked down tight.

Robert Connolly
    Participant

CCV Pictures

I changed the CCV filters in August 2020 at 900 hours. Engines now have 1,100 hours. The filter on the left of the photo is the one from the engine that the oil fill cap came off of. Previously, I could find no record of the CCV filters having ever been changed. Doesn’t mean they weren’t, but it’s not in the engine maintenance record that was left to me by the previous owner.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Rubber expansion caps?Ā  Ā  Ā The type you turn a T handle and as it tightens the rubber ring expands and jams itself in the opening you are trying to seal?

I have a couple of those on my much older engine.Ā  Ā  As the rubber shrinks I have added either an extra LOOSE nut, + a washer either sideĀ  or a stack of washers to expand the rubber ring more.Ā  Ā The result is the ring grabs properly.

Robert Connolly
    Participant

Thanks Tony

I will do all as you stated. Up here in the Northeast, it’s winterizing time, so this week I have done the oil changes and winterization. I do have the rubber expansion caps. Is there another option?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Spend more time in your engine room–clean up the mess until all is 100% spic & span.. If you have the “rubber” expansion caps, wipe them dry and the tube where they go dry before tightening them..

Add oil as needed, but keep it at the low end of the correct oil pan capacity amount.

AS to your Racor CCV’s?? See is they are totally “saturated” again Post good pics.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.