• Creator
    Topic

Robert Connolly
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Raging C's
    Engines: QSM11 HP

Hello all – 2007 660HP Reman QSM11’s in a 1984 46′ Viking convertible. Purchased boat in 2016 with 450 hours and now have 1,350. Not sure when the last time the coolers were serviced, possibly never. I know that isn’t good at all. Money is tight, so I am attempting to do this myself, and as an amateur, I am fairly intimidated. I am planning to service the aftercooler, heat exchanger, and gear and fuel coolers. I don’t have any idea what I am going to find and any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I will be posting my progress good and bad as I make my way through this adventure (mis-adventure?).Ā 

SBMR made me up fresh water washes for both engines about 3 years ago, and I have been doing a Barnacle Buster flush 2x per season, but that’s it on the raw water side. I have purchased the SBMR aftercooler and HE kits for both engines, but for now I just need to get it all apart. Hence my next questions:

1. Does the fresh water tank need to be removed? If so, I assume the coolant needs to be drained? Where is that plug and is there an effective way to capture and reuse that coolant? Or is a loss?
    2. Does the turbo need to be removed?
    3. In attachment 1 below, I have the front 6 bolts off the aftercooler top, and the 2 longer bolts off each side. I also have 4 of the 6 back bolts off but having a hell of a time with the 2 remaining that sit under the cooled air intake from the aftercooler to the cylinders (sorry I don’t know the correct name if this part). Those are shown in attachments 2 and 3. I don’t know the correct order for removing the parts. Does the cooled air intake (attachment 4) come off before the top of the aftercooler or vice versa?
    4. To get to the 2 bolts left, should I remove the fresh water hose in attachment 5?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance!

Rob

“Raging C’s”

Rockaway Beach NY

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Robert Connolly
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Raging C's
    Engines: QSM11 HP

Thank You Tony

I made a little progress tonight. First realized there is no way that fresh water line is coming out without removing the air intake so that’s out. Second I got the end caps off the upper and lower housings of the Aftercooler. I looked in with a flashlight and was pleasantly surprised with what I can see so far. I also looked into the H/E and while it’s gummed up with barnacles, it probably also looks a little better than expected.

The 2 bolts under the air intake a major PIA. I was able to get both loose and about 80% out tonight. My thoughts are some type of offset 1/2″ open end wrench will do the trick. Going to run around tomorrow to home depot, etc and see what I can find.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

QSM aftercooler service

Simple answer——–100% yes you can do it this way..My best tech just did one this way

Overhead clearance is the limiting factor and the hard part is theĀ  taking apart and assemblingĀ  the intake manifold casting between the aftercooler housing and the head–You kinda have to have the flex things in and out as it’s TIGHT and deal with the gaskets at the same time.. Should be fun!

Coolant DOES NOT have to be drained–It has nothing to do with the aftercooler or exhaust/turbo

Dealing with the aftercooler core inside the housing and your exhaust leaksĀ  areĀ  completely different jobs

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.