• Creator
    Topic

Glenn Niccolai
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Allure
    Engines: QSM-11 - 580 HP

All,

Have a QSM-11- 2005.. 1100 hours.. developed a leak, outboard side (port Engine), appears to be under / next too the Fuel Cooler. Bolts for oil pan appear to be clean, no obvious leaks from the bolt or gasket.

mechanic has been on boat twice changing a few bolts, said he fixed it.. 3rd time he jumped on board, now he says its a ‘cracked oil pan’..

I will say, over this past weekend, went for a quick ride (maybe 3 miles to and from dock).. probably had about 3 ounces of oil under the engine.. if I ran our usually 60 miles out and back to the canyon, I cant imagine what would be under the engine.

thoughts? really.. cracked oil pan?? having trouble getting my head around this one..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Ya, looks like a crack from the pictures. It’s worth sanding the paint off to confirm its in the metal and not just the pain.

Other than that there really is no other option other than a new pan. Hopefully it can be done without jacking up the engine saving some alignment time.

Phil

Glenn Niccolai
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Allure
    Engines: QSM-11 - 580 HP

QSM-11 11 Oil Pan Leak

Here are the pictures for the crack in the oil pan.. I think I have to replace the pan.. any thoughts? See Pics

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

Get your camera phone down there and take some good pictures. Then clean everything really good and take some more pictures. Maybe we will see the crack. Take your time and get some good pictures – it’s possible with effort.

Post up the pictures.

If it’s really cracked then you need to change the pan. Depending on installation you MIGHT be able to do it without jacking the engine.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.