• Creator
    Topic

Larry Backman
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Skipjack
    Engines: QSM 670

Hi – I’m back…

my QSM just rolled past 4700 hours after 7 years of use.  It had been well maintained, has no leaks or smoke and runs strong/no issues.  I’d like to keep it that way!

Turbo and exhaust manifold were proactively replaced at about 2700 hrs, injectors were tested/rebuilt  at 2000 hours, planning on the same this winter.

My preventative maintenance list this winter is

1. remove and fully service all 4 coolers

2. replace exhaust manifold, check turbo and decide what to do with it.

3. remove/test/rebuild all injectors, valve adjust.

4. annual fluids, belts, zinc, impeller replacement.

5. Replace transmission cooler to exhaust elbow raw water hose.

6. Examine all blue engine coolant and oil hoses for wear, replace as needed.

any other suggestions I should be doing?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Larry Backman
    Participant

It’s your book!

Tony – with utmost respect everything I have learned and written about the QSM has either come from you and your writings or the school of hard knocks.  I run it and maintain it the way you have written and advised me and it seems to work!  If I ever get into the wrong side of the power curve and see 20GPH, I slow down!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO, I think you should write a small book on dealing with the DRY QSM.. If I was an owner and green, paying  $50-$100 for it would the best $$ the new owner could ever spent….  I’d certainly buy one.

A really great engine and very  “tuff”  besides other than the dry/manifold. turbo arrangement

Larry Backman
    Participant

They were greased

I crawled down into the cold bilge today and checked.  All studs have good thick grease on them, not sure what kind. I can’t comment to the alignment process but 650 hours this summer and an easy 1/3 GPH improvement from last year.

any suggestions on other things I should be doing at 5K?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Hopefully you read this before the new isolators were installed.

Why We Use Grease on Marine Engine Isolators

Tony

Larry Backman
    Participant

Nice call Rob but beat you

I had pre launch drama last April.  The prop went out for tuning, came back and the cutlass bearing showed 1/2” of play.  That led down the downeast can of worms, drop rudder to remove shaft to saw out bound up bearing.  Rudder collar was binding on post, shaft came out eventually, bearing was f-Ed bad, completely deteriorated on the shaft tube end.  Once a nee set of bearings went in the shaft went back and wouldn’t align.

that led to the discovery of no lock nut on some of the mounts, replacing the mounts and realigning.  2 fun weeks and well north of 10K.

but yes, I have new mounts 🙂

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Welcome back Larry.  You have proven that you know how to maintain and run this engine as good as anyone possibly can and way better than anything in print.   Have you given the isolator mounts a good look over and lube and an engine alignment check?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.