• Creator
    Topic

Dwight
    Participant

Looking to do clutched 30gpm hydraulics in the most efficient way possible. My hydraulic guy is leery of harmonics associated with this engine and machining and bolting pitts clutch to the crank. I’ve looked over Tony’s previous installs. Have 2ft max in front of the main for the pump and to squeeze by, limiting options for much of a drive shaft, if any. Have looked at MER SeaDrive units as an option $$$. This is where I found out about getting a tva for any install off the front crank? Also, wondered about running that kind of hp off seawater pump location (I’m keel cooled). Zf 325-1, my guess is that would be a lot of weight hanging off the back of that gear? Thanks for the insight.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dwight
    Participant

Email sent.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I’ll do some looking/research this week–What is your time frame? 

Send me this direct so I do not forget  —————  [email protected]

Dwight
    Participant

Makes sense Tony, thanks for the foresight.<br />Crab block is a 17” Warren Junes model with 19cid motor. The cylinder on the davit to raise/lower is 3” bore x 24” stroke.

Boat is 53’ approximately 50k lbs. A little bit of research points me to a bow thruster with 500 lbs of thrust, 19.3cubic cm motor, requiring 15.6 gpm flow at 2600psi.

Anchor winch kolstrand direct drive unit. Says it has a white RE series motor and performance is based off 6gpm at 1500psi.

Tuna puller, char lynn 3cid motor with 3 gpm requirement.

Gurdies, looks like 5-6 gpm at 1500psi.

That would be my list of future additions atm.

Tony Athens

For me, or anyone, to help from here fwd, you need to post a few EXACT answers.. This is the only way to sort out the “PUMP SIZE” & type.. Your “crab block” is the money maker, so we have to start with this

1.  EXACT  Crab block model and all specs 
    2. Exact bow thruster–Although this is very intermittent as to use and usually runs for seconds at a time, it could easily need to Most Volume from the hydraulics.  Bow thruster size in always dictated by the size & weigh on the boat———POST THAT
    3. All of the “other” hyds ( anchor, tuna puller, gurdies, boom winch, etc are all low volume/low power needs

With the amount of equipment you may use, nothing but a properly sized and plumbed “Smart Pump” will suffice….To do this will require many hours of  “pre-engineering” unless you want to continually do adds-ons & expensive redo’s each time to add one on the “new systems”. You do not have to install the add-ons now, you just have to set up the proper pump and valving/manifold designs in the beginning to add future  things down the road..  

Or, you can base all of  “I was told”   That sounds very expensive to me  as to “shoulda, woulda, coulda” learning curves.       

Shortest Drive line length–This is based on what is called a Short coupled Cardan shaft–In your case “flange to flange is around 10” with limited adjustment “slip of about 3/8” from the center out  each way. Longer drive lines are way more forgiving.

Dwight
    Participant

hydros/pto

Great info. <br />1. I won’t worry about torsionals!

2. What’s the shortest driveline you’d recommend? I’ll likely go this route, most straight forward. The system is being put together to predominantly run crab block and davit. Anchor winch, bow thruster, tuna puller, girdies to be added in the future.

3/4/5/6. My knowledge of hydraulics is limited, do not have much experience other than running a vtm42 straight to an anchor winch. “Smart pump” may be good option, probably a lot less heat to deal with? But again, I know nothing as far as those pumps go. I was told Eaton vq vane pump with 30 gpm cartridge 1800 psi I’d be looking at pulling roughly 150 fa/minute between 800-900 rpm at the pump.

7. QSL9 405hp MCD

Tony Athens

QSL9 PTO & Hydraulics

This is an IMO based of 25++ years of dealing with PTO’s on Cummins engines and very serios commercial operations.. Take it for what “long term experience” is worth vs. couch engineering

1. don’t worry about torsionals–Leave that to the “paper engineers”
    2. If you have the room,  a spicer drive line set up right with e clutch is the easier for pump if you need more than 15 HP at idle
    3. Before I would recommend the PTO where the seawater pump is, I would need the EXCT SPECS of the pump want to use–Plus no way to clutch it there
    4. Have you considered a “SMART PUMP”   NO clutch needed and properly set up, extremity  forgiving and super efficient–Plus, RPM does not matter
    5. Fixed disp. pump in open loop systems are very RPM sensitive and that is  why a clutch it just about always need needed
    6.  Tell me everything about the actual HYD application–I speak this language like no other will marine applications  up to about 100HP 
    7. IMPORTANT———–EXACT   QSL9 rating——————- They have limited power at dead IDLE and how you operate the boat at idle with the hydraulics on could easily affect things.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.