• Creator
    Topic

Bob Handford
    Participant
    Vessel Name: downtime
    Engines: cummins QSL 9

Hi every one!
    I have two QSL9’s in a 40 luhrs the problem i’m having is when we travel at 25kn for approximately 1 hr the engine starts to smoke and then runs rough until it knocks and stops the out come is the injectors have failed not all but most of them this has happened to both engines at different times, i have checked the fuel filtration and fuel quality all of that is good, so my question is how is this happening and what is causing it, Any ideas would be great thanks.
    Cheers BOB

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You are not posting anything of value for the help you are seeking.. Try thisā€”answer as asked, and post pics as requested:

1) 12 injectorsā€”how many failed and what was the cause of failure determined to be?

2) Post good pictures of the off-engine fuel filtration system. What is the micron rating of the filter element?

3) In your post you refer to ā€œthis has been done and that has been done.ā€ Exactly who are the people doing these things and what are their qualifications?

4) If the people you have working for you are, indeed, qualified, then this next question should be simple to answerā€¦ā€¦When the on-engine filter was removed, cut open and dumped into a clean vessel, what was found? This is standard SOP with injector failures.

5) With multiple injector failures along with the symptoms you posted, what are the results of the fuel analysis tests?

6) What fault codes did the engine show?

Letā€™s see how you do with questions that need to be answered.

Bob Handford
    Participant

Ask 9 injector fail

Hi Tony
    Yes the injectors fail and are shot need replacement the common source is the fuel tank but it has been cleaned out of the boat earlier all fuel and filters have been replaced and checked
    Iā€™m wondering if the pumps or fuel rails can break down while the boat was on the hard stand and continue to do so how can we check if this is happening? Any idea?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Maybe there is something other than just #2 the tank?

Plus, the filters off the engine need to be looked at closely.

Losing an injector on a CR engine can lead to a “runaway”, which can take out the entire engine. I have seen it twice on the exact fuel system used this engine.

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Iā€™m trying to understand what is going on. Are you saying an engine at cruise will knock then stop ? Meaning shut down? Also it happens to both engines at different times. Then I assume the engines run fine at a later date? You have determined itā€™s multiple injector failure, but they come back to life? Iā€™m not buying it. Something else is going on.

Bob Handford
    Participant

Downtime injection failure

Hi Philip what I should mention is the boat was on the hard stand for two years having a refit and the engines were not started during that time could this cause the pump and fuel rail to have corrosion And fail
    No sorry I donā€™t have photos yet next time to the boat I will take them
    Cheers bob

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Got any pictures of your filtration and engines?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.