• Creator
    Topic

oguzhanakalinnarp
    Participant

Hello everyone, I just purchased a partly burned boat with 2 sets of QSC8.3 Cummins engine. The previous owner told me there isnt any water damage inside engine casing but I can see the corrosion on engine and want to check inside. However, I dont have a instruction manual to how to overhaul the engine. I am a marine engineer myself so I have knowledge on maintaining and overhauling marine engines but as you can imagine; I need instructions. If any of you can help me I will send you a box of turkish delight šŸ™‚ Ā 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

oguzhanakalinnarp
    Participant

Hi Rob,

This project is undergoing for around 2 years. In that years all the water/heat damages are rectified. Also I have a partner who just wants this project to finish so money and time is no issue. I am in charge of all the mechanics of the yacht.

Yeap the ECM board is completely fried and all the sensors are burnt. We found a good electrical engineer who worked on vessels so he should be familiar with all the sensors and plugs. We believe these engines will be working like brand new in no time. Quick question: Is it possible that this engines are built without a marine gear oil cooler/fuel cooler on them. Is it optional to have this cooler?

I am looking for some wiring diagram that shows the positions of the sensors…

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

For a simple mechanical diesel this project could be doable but for a common rail electronic engine there is way too much damage to expensive electronic components to make this a worthwhile project IMHO.Ā  Based on the waterline visible on that shot of the flywheel end of the engine I would worry about the amount of water exposure in addition to the obvious fire/heat damage..

oguzhanakalinnarp
    Participant

Pics included

Hi Tony,

I ve attached some photos (I couldnt find your dm). The serial number on the engine is also burnt. I live in Istanbul and I have some doubts that the hardcopies would reach me…Ā 

I have already dismantled engine block. Cleaned and reconditioned main bearings, crankshaft, pistons, liners, cylinder covers, intercooler and after cooler etc. In conclusion the main parts of the engine is ready.

The main problems are the small lines and hoses. On google or youtube I couldnt find any specific directions about (i.e. turbocharger lube oil inlet) small pipings and positions of the sensors. On this website I found useful diagrams but not a clear instruction.Ā 

I attached some nice photos of the engine also with fresh paint šŸ™‚

Thank you Tony.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Why not post some really good pics of what you have- Clear and in focus or send direct to me.Ā  From there I’ll tell what to do to get started..

As to a book-Maine side -Tony’s Tips & this web site

For the base engine, you need a Cummins Repair manual–Hard copies are about $100.Ā  Post some serial numbers Or you can register your engine and get it all onĀ  QSOL

Do some Google searching.Ā Ā 

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.