• Creator
    Topic

Douglas Craigie
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Carlsbay
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3

My QSC8.3 wont go past 1500rpm and gives me low fuel pressure alarm and starts belching alot of black smoke out wet exhaust. I’ve switched from racor to double double filters, all main fuel lines are clear, replaced injectors pressure sensor relief valve actuator and priming pump. Only other option I feel is fuel pump. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

1) Past history of running well ??

2) Alarm codes?

3) A failed BOOST sensor will cause that exact symptom.

Tony

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Interesting that you get low fuel pressure AND black smoke. As we know black smoke is unburied fuel. With low fuel pressure Iā€™d expect the absence of fuel and no black smoke.

AIR issues: Not getting enough air can be caused by a dirty/collapsed air cleaner, a leaking turbo hose, a filthy aftercooler or air restriction inside the aftercooler, a worn out or partially stuck turbo, or a poorly ventilated engine room. Any combo of these can restrict air to the engine causing dark smoke and further, low power.

Got any pictures of the engine and especially turbo/exhaust area? Iā€™m wondering if you really have a turbo issue. If your turbo is sticking for whatever reason you will have an air restriction and excess fuel = black smoke.

Post some pictures, letā€™s see if we can help you out…

Phil

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.