• Creator
    Topic

Esomand
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hanalei
    Engines: QSC 500

New issue with my Cummins diesels – puff of white smoke at startup only – port engine last year, now both engines this year.  Cool spring climate (48-degree water temp) in the Great Lakes region, QSC500’s with 1200 hours, 44DA 2006.  Engines run great otherwise, and very little white smoke at startup in summer.  Unable to locate grid heater to test.  Provided s/n to Cummins factory and local svs but unable to help, factory unable to confirm if grid heater installed.  No hard wiring to the engine block (thru block terminals) other than to sensers. Single relay near starter which appears to feed the starter relay.  No hard wiring to intake manifold except sensers and wiring to injectors. Minor fluctuation on amp meter at startup.  Will move to Wolverine Pan Heater if suggested, however I’m a bug about my engines working as intended.  Suggestions?  

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

I would just use the Wolverines.  You get quite a few additional benefits with them.  Warmer, drier engine compartment…..  Warmer oil at start up…

Here is a Tony’s Tips article that gives you some pointers on where to look on your QSC for the grid connections.

Boost Fitting Locations for B & C Series Marine Diesels

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.