• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

Brian Will
    Participant

I have the fuel/oil cooler off engine its leaking at the lower side of the raw water pipes. Is there anything that can be done to make a better seal when these are put back together? Also, the radiator shop I took one cooler to for pressure testing said I should replace the steel mounting bolts with stainless steel. Any thoughts on that suggestion?

Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

I wouldn’t use Rectorseal but the Alco stuff has to be good given it’s used when assembling the aftercoolers.

Maybe use some Rectorseal on the bolts during assembly. Ā If not that, use something though.

Brian Will
    Participant

John,

Thanks for the input. Question, I was going to use either Alco Metalube or Rectorseal 5 which I’ve seen used on the forum a lot. What do you use in the category of marine grease?

Thanks.

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Use all new o-rings from the kit, clean all surfaces VERY well (I use a Dremel w/a lightly abrasive wheel (Google same)) and then some marine grease when fitting all back together.

Also make sure the little clips used to hold it all snug are in good shape too.

I also wouldn’t replace the steel with stainless. Ā Just get new bolts (and clips too maybe) or clean the old stuff well, paint and reassemble with lube. Ā Then hit it all up with some spray like Boeshield each season or more often depending on use.Ā 

Good luck.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.