• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

kenmangano
    Participant

QSC Aftercooler service: can’t remove core
    Engine is 2017 QSC 8.3 600 S/N M-74014202 610 hours.
    My second season with boat (mix of fresh, brackish and salt water use), and I am attempting a “big job for me” after cooler service. I’ve watched the videos and have the SB kit service the Aftercooler, but I’m not even at the level of backyard mechanic, but I want to learn. I removed the aftercooler with little difficulty and removed endcaps. The core does not look too bad. I have soaked the both ends over night with KROIL Oil 2x and then PB Blaster 2x. Cooler in vice and block of wood and heavy hammer to end of core that has the aluminum ring, but I can’t get the core to budge (I may have moved it the width of a razor blade). What’s next? I have read about a radiator shop to press the core out. What do I need to ask when I call shops to find the right shop near me Baltimore/Annapolis area.

BTW local Cummins service quoted over $7000 to service Aftercooler (not including heat exchanger). Thanks, Ken

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Good for you for trying. Great job for a backyard mechanic to start on as well. You’ve also done the labor part of the job that would have cost you the most money.

If you go that shop route, find a good one you trust. Any good marine diesel place will know what to do. There’s a popular boating/fishng website you can look on or post a request asking for recs on a good diesel place by you. They’ll tell you the “Truth”. Just tell the shop you have a pair of aftercoolers you’d like to bring in from a ’17 Cummins QSC to have the cores pressed out. They won’t give you a firm price for the job because they will want to see them first, etc. but they’ll get it done for ya.

Soak it regardless so if you do bring to the shop, it’s easier for them as well.

You can decide if you want to clean them, put them back together, pressure test, etc. or have them do it too when you discuss cost with them.

Look inside air side both ways to make sure there’s no crusty salt, etc., and you get a visual on what they look like.

Good luck!

J

kenmangano
    Participant

Thanks Dave I did figure out the correct direction for removal.
    Tony: No, I have not soaked it from inside. Didn’t know I could. I’ll try that. Thanks!
    Ken

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Have you “poured” 6-8 Ounces of KROIL into the aftercooler airside then stood it up on end for 1-2 days, and flipped it over for a another 1-2 days??

You want to soak it from the inside out..

Dave Carlson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Bec'n Me
    Engines: 500 QSC

Look at the end caps carefully. They will only come out in one direction. Remove the o ring on the end with the black diverter and you should see a flange. The other end has a stainless ring you can remove and press from that end. At least that was how mine were.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.