• Creator
    Topic

Luke Nelson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Southern Image
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540hp

Hi All,
    I have finally decided to pull the aftercoolers and see what I am in for. Both had no grease and oval shaped orings, one was pretty seized. i have no idea how long they have been in for.
    One has some surface damage from? The other has 4 seals on the sides, are these the ones getting thrown away on the video from the B/C series?

Thanks Luke

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Looks good, but we do our testing at 25 PSI..

Tony

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Pressure test

After cleaning and reseal, I set up a simple pressure test at 10 psi. I left it overnight.

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks again for in the input.

Corey: Yes the cores have been a bit abused, but seem to have cleaned up ok. The housings were not in the best shape, one was a bit worse but they seem to have cleaned up ok. Sorry I just cleaned them up and put them together with no pics. It seemed to run fine for 600L yesterday.

Rob: Just the cores, I hadn’t thought of doing the housing with the core until now. I will have to look at making some plugs.

What temp rise should I get on intake temp? is around 8 degrees c over water temp acceptable at 2300rpm.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Thanks for the info.
    Yes they passed a pressure test.

Core or assembly?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Have we seen actual pictures of the sealing surfaces? From the pictures I see on this post, that cooler is not in good shape…

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks for the info.
    Yes they passed a pressure test, it was surprising the amount of heavy particles that came out via vibrations. I would say almost a table spoon.

One housing was a bot average but we will see soon, both condensate drains were also full of crud.

I have started thinking about the fresh water flush but have not got to it yet. Coming from 3208’s they drained at the end of the day out the shaft seal, these wont do to the plumbing.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Glad you got them apart! Itā€™s not uncommon for a cooler with unknown maintenance and NO grease to be unable to get threat. Cool that they all cleaned up well for you.

What did you housing sealing surfaces look like?

Did you pressure test them after cleaning? And again after assembled to ensure nothing leaks?

Ever consider installing fresh water flushing?

Phil

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Philip,
    2006 engines, 540hp, 4200 hrs , Salt water, no flushing, 4-500 hrs a year now propped to 75% load.

Sorry that one has cleaned up and gone back in, 2 hours in the ultrasonic to get the sludge out. All greased with fresh orings.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Hard to tell from the photos posted but the long seals on the sides can go bye bye. The damage or crushed fins look like they are crushed from rough handling.

Get the core cleaned up some and then post some better photos in hi resolution zoomed out some more as well as what the ends of the aftercooler body look like so we can see the sealing surfaces. They may or may not be serviceable.

You state unknown service history. What year is the engine? How many hours? Salt water or fresh? Fresh water flushing?

The seals are round not oval as being compressed probably made them loose their shape.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.