• Creator
    Topic

Tim Bogle
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Pelta
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3

Hey guys, I’m hoping for some good advice.  I have Twin QSC 8.3’s  now at 900hrs. One is smoking only when accelerating, the other one is very clean. This smoke problem has been there for 5 years, possibly getting slightly worse in recent years.  Aftercoolers serviced 2 years ago. No difference since then. How can I check the injectors and fuel injector pump? The boat had sea water in the fuel due to bad fuel breather positions (now fixed) when I bought the boat. I wonder if this was the cause of the smoking engine, but I really have no idea. <br /><br /> Thanks, Tim

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tim Bogle
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Pelta
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3

Apologies for the delay coming back Clark.

The exhaust smoke is black when accelerating under load/ underway. The starboard engine exhaust is clear under load.

I think it’s a injector or fuel pump issue (maybe over – fuelling?). I guess that I need to get the fuel system tested by a mechanic with all the tech gear? Thanks Clark.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

What colour is the smoke.     White/grey   or  dark/black?      Is it all the time or if intermettent describe when and under what conditions it shows.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.