• Creator
    Topic

Bobby O’Neal
    Participant

I’m looking for my next boat. I’ve seen a couple with Cummins Common Rail QSB 5.9’s. Both have about 1250 hrs. Are these good engines? Any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

raymond gonzalez
    Participant
    Vessel Name: "The Office"
    Engines: cummins qsb 5.9 425 2007 8732

ive got those

i Have a formula 40 pc 2008 w qsb 5.9… 875 hrs .. great engines .. reliable strong .. efficient and easy to maintain feel free to email me if you have any questions ..
    ray

Bobby O’Neal
    Participant

Thanks

Hey Tony,
    Thanks for your reply. I’ll wait until I get access to the engine s/n.’s
    Regards,
    Bobby

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Only an actual serial number of the engines in question number would allow me to answer that question… Brokers & listings are typically more wrong that right as to details like that..

Tony

Bobby O’Neal
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. The description for the engines says 425 h.p. on one boat and 450 h.p. on the other. Both are same year. Does either of the h.p. sound correct?
    Regards,
    Bobby

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Why the 6.7? It was the Dodge truck market coupled to the EPA T4 on road standards..The added disp. made it easier to make T4…That’s what drove it and with that, came all the rest…….. Internally it is “MORE ENGINE” as to the things that matter making reliable power with a much higher “peak torque and torque rise” (that’s what the truck guys are all about– 1000 ft lbs/1800 RPM of twist).

Tony

Paul Greenhalgh
    Participant
    Vessel Name: ADELAIDE
    Engines: QSB6.7 480

Rob….not to hijack the thread, but I’ve often wondered what the difference is between the QSB 5.9s and 6.7s (of equivalent hp or horsepower aside). Why was the increase in volume thought necessary or desirable ?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good Engines? Absolutely …. on the day it left the factory. It is 100% dependent on everything that it has been subjected to from that day way back whenever right up to how she sits today. Between the builder (install), the nut behind the wheel (operation & maintenance) and mother nature (marine age) there are many many variables and used engines really need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Unlike engines of several other colors, there really is no engine in the Cummins line-up that you would stamp as “the one to avoid” ……….

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.