• Creator
    Topic

Joe Palermo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Blackout
    Engines: 540 QSC

I’ve read the other posts here on this topic with no luck. Every initial startup, the belt squeaks for 5-10min. Then no noises the rest of the day. I’ve  replaced belt, fresh water pump, raw water pump, tensioner, and alternator. I’ve noticed a lot more belt dust on that motor than the other and am at my wits end. Could the alternator be working too hard initially? It shouldn’t, as the batteries are always on the charger. I also could not find the air heater to disconnect. 

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Joe,

Glad you sorted out the  what belt. 

Great trick

Next–Could the alternator be experiencing an abnormal draw at warmup? 

100% yes, but the only simple way to know is if you are monitoring battery terminal  voltage just before turning the key and watching it after start-up/warming up

Say you are at 12.4-12.6-ish at the battery terminal and your cold alternator regulator set point is 14.0V.  The alternator will go to max charging as is can based on the alternator RPM and voltage difference the sensing terminal sees.  Belt squeal can be common in this scenario .

Are you use a genuine Belt? All the pulleys are clean deep in the grooves?

Joe Palermo
    Participant

Alternator

I did the brake cleaner and tensioner trick. It is definitely the alternator. When I bought the boat, this motor had the same problem so I replaced the tension pulley, belt, and the alternator (wanted a spare anyways). It didn’t touch the issue. Could the alternator be experiencing an abnormal draw at warmup? 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Never tried this that way– If it really can isolate it, this a simple & great idea.

How we usually go about it– 99% it is usually the alternator belt 

With the belt guard off push on the spring tensioner to tighten the alternator belt at idle– That will tell you 100% –Spring tensioners do loose their tension over time and the swivel part gets stiff too

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

First thing is to figure which belt is the troublemaker. I use a bit of brake cleaner. [ very little ] Spray it on either belt when squeaking. That will eliminate the good belt. It evaporates quickly . If it’s a serp belt , the use the extender tube and spray just on the inside. If it doesn’t go away it’s an outside roller. 

Joe Palermo
    Participant

Serpentine

Serpentine. Appears to be coming from alternator side. 

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Are you talking about the “serpentine” belt or the seawater pump belt?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.