• Creator
    Topic

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

I am looking at a 2007  36′ with Cummins QSBs in her, less than 400 hours. This is an original owner boat only fresh water. No records at all concerning the engine. Oil and filters done 8 years ago. Looks like it has been used about 20 hours per year. After coolers never looked at. Magnesium anode on the top of the after cooler looked 99% there, and it also looked like it was never out of the engine. Not a sign of corrosion anywhere. If it was a salt water boat I would run away. Looking at it eyes open it needs all fluids changed, belts hoses etc. Just wondering about the after coolers in a f/w environment. Any fresh water boaters with incite on this?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Nicholas
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Attraction
    Engines: Qsb 5.9

Had it trucked down when fuel was a lot cheaper

Mark Tripi
    Participant

That sounds great, this boat looked the same also but all the soft goods in the cockpit are shot. Aft facing seats and cockpit pads. Did you said her down or truck her?

Nicholas
    Participant

Lake Erie , boat was in Sandusky. Original owner boat , being on fresh water the boat literally looked like it just came out of the mold, super clean. 

Mark Tripi
    Participant

Thank you Tony, I agree with you 100%. Here is a story for you. I listed my 30 Pursuit with 4BTAs, if you remember the one where I mounted a belt driven 3208 r/w pump in front of the engines. Had a survey and sea trial and all went well. Surveyor asked me why there was no water in my bilge (because I clean them)? Next day I get a call from my broker, the buyers backed out. Not sure who put the idea in the buyers head, surveyor or their broker. But the broker called my broker asking if the boat had sunk (it did not) because the bilges were too clean!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO, any FRESH WATER boat with diesels ( gas too) , especially one with aftercooled engines is worth a major premium on the resale market.

Fresh water flush your engines,  and it  will pay major dividends down the road..

Two things I refuse to do with my own  “not used enough boat”..   Leave saltwater in the engines salt water side of the cooling system,   and  leave, even one drop of water,  in my bilge when at the dock sitting there for days/weeks between use.. Anyone that thinks otherwise has no clue of the long term good effects of this  maintenance practice..    

Mark Tripi
    Participant

Thank you very much. That is very reassuring to see. What lake was the boat on?

Nicholas
    Participant

I bought a 2007  32 Carolina classic in 2020,with the same engines and 1500 hrs .13 yrs old and spent its entire life in fresh water . Routine maintenance was done but the aftercoolers were never serviced. I took them apart as per Tony’s way and they were super clean , fresh water ! Air side was a little dirty , but tubes were like new . I fresh water flush after every use . 

Mark Tripi
    Participant

I mean “insight”!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.