• Creator
    Topic

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HASSELL5
    Engines: YANMAR 370 6LYA-STP

I am running 370 Yanmars (6LY-STP)

With the boat about 1/2 loaded at the end of the season my WOT rpms were 3375 and 3390 with Aetna digital tachs.

I have the props off now and getting them tuned up.  Should I be looking to get those numbers about 100 or so higher if possible or should I be happy with where I’m at?  There’s no smoke from the exhaust, but I do get a little soot on the transom after a day offshore.  I have a spec sheet from Yanmar that shows 3425-3525 as the WOT rpm goal.  Valves were adjusted just before the haul out at 1700 hours this year.  Not sure if that changes anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

A #1 cup is the lightest measurable cup.  I doubt removing that would get you any real rpms back.  In my experience some cup is important for prop efficiency and this depends on the prop specs and the boat/hull characteristics.  I don’t think you are going to be happy with the change but a small cup change like that should have been inexpensive.

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant

So the prop shop reconditioned my propellers.

My desire was to get them to turn about another 100 rpm.

The props had a #1 cup which they removed in order to accomplish that goal.

My question is:  Is there any other benefit or detriment to removing the cup and was that the right move?

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Randy, your questions/concerns were exactly why Tony put this article together quite some time ago: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/engine-life-vs-engine-loading/

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant

more questions…

I have an info spec sheet for my engines from Yanmar that shows max output of 3300 rpm and suggested wot rpm for “prop matching” from between 3425-3525.  What’s the reason for getting them to turn over 3300 if that is where the max hp ends? 

Should the correct cruise rpm be about 90% of 3300 or the highest achievable numbers?   

and should the cruise rpm change as the max numbers change later in the season due to water temp, fouled bottom, loaded weight etc?

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant

Those numbers were 3/4 fuel, and just the normal stuff we carry on board but not fully loaded for fishing.

It’s an older heavy boat (1989 Sport-Craft 360 Express, 25k loaded).   I’m getting about a 21-22 knot cruise at 2900 rpm and can hit about 26-27 knots wide open at 3375.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

If she’s an offshore runner subjected to various loading and sea conditions I’d want to get the WOT rpm’s up a bit, especially if you already have props in hand.  Your end of season numbers were with what kind of fuel, persons and misc. gear loads?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.