• Creator
    Topic

Brad Arrington
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jennifer B.
    Engines: QSC 8.3 600

I have a QSC 8.3 600 and am considering a different FW flush arrangement.   I currently am using a flush cap, but I think leaving the sea cock open when flushing is not as effective as I would like. I’d like some advice if what I’m thinking is feasible. <br /><br /> I’m considering cutting the stainless tube between the raw water pump and the oil/fuel cooler and inserting a bronze tee adapter with a flush valve.  The tee adapter would be secured using a pair of flexible couplings.  Then I could flush the engine after it is off without worrying about salt water being pulled in.  I want to be sure that:

1. Splicing in the bronze tee won’t compromise the integrity of the pipe,
    2. it will be safe the run the fresh water thorough there with the engine off without causing damage

I have a straight muffler and a good down slope from the raw water exit to the exhaust.  Pics of the engine and exhaust setup attached.  The first one shows the proposed tee location between the green lines.  <br /><br />  

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Brad Arrington
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jennifer B.
    Engines: QSC 8.3 600

I’ve read the SB article and watched the video on the subject.  Based on those materials, its not accurate that Tony “does not like what I’m suggesting”.  <br /><br />Both the article and the video state that a post-pump flush setup is an acceptable option, so long as the exhaust has a natural gravity drain through a straight, non-lift muffler.  The caveat is that this won’t flush the strainer or pump.  

What both emphasize is to install a flush system that is convenient so that it will used regularly.  I am not debating if a flush cap with the seacock open is effective with amount of raw water entry – I have that setup now and use it.  I serviced my aftercooler this week and it was very clean – I attribute this to regular flushing.  <br /><br />What’s I’m trying to do is improve the convenience of my flush setup.  Doing that through that so I can flush with the engine off would do that. I’m reasonably certain my setup will support this, but wanted a second opinion.  

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Look up and read Tony Athens article about this very subject.     He does not like what you are suggesting.

Over many years Tony has figured out the quantity of seawater pulled in is negligible and will be diluted enough to not present a problem.

Something I think  you have missed is without the engine operating any mufflers or such devices can be flooded and back feed the engine unless the engine is operating to force that water out the exhaust fittings and not allow it to flood a cylinder.

Your choice of course.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.