• Creator
    Topic

BAL
    Participant
    Engines: 6BTA5.9-M3 330

6BTDA, 330s, cpl 1975. Found soft plastic pieces in bilge under fan belt, and some nestled under pulley.<br />Can’t trace the source, pulleys all spin freely. Need help figuring where they came from and what to do. Also, can I run the engine at lower rpm (1,000) to warm it up for an oil change while I sort this out? Thanks much,  Bruce

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yup, good to change them out proactively..

BAL
    Participant

Here’s where plastic pieces are coming from on a failing belt tensioner.  Stbd shim is missing and port is breaking up. Happened around 1900 hours fwiw.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BAL
    Participant

Thx, did some digging and it does look as though a shim in the belt tensioner has failed.  Only bad news is that the tensioner comes as a unit so it’s not possible to replace just the shim. 

Regarding engine warmup, I should have been more specific.  I always do the warm up under light load, so no problem. Just wasn’t sure if I should risk running the engine with the tensioner problem. I’ll hold off the oil change until everything is fixed.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I think it is from the tensioner.  Look up the problem in Tony’s tips. You are not the first.

As for oil warmup I think you will find the oil does not warm up.   Certainly not very quickly.   I tried that years ago on my different engine and after about 40  min to an hour the oil was still cold. Sure a bit warmer but basically cold.   

I take it out for a run so there is a decent load on it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.