• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

I just noticed a salt water leak in my generator pan.Of course it’s leaking from the back of the engine which is impossible to get a visual on. I can see a drip line which leads to a puddle under the engine which is coming from approximately the circled red circle. I can get my hand back there some but cannot feel any moisture on that hose or the exhaust pipe.From looking at the schematic I don’t see any other spots raw water could be leaking from on the back side of the engine.heat exchanger is dry in the area of that hose also.Anything I’m missing here.Thx Bill

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

If me?

Cut out as much as practical and “Pedro it” with a rubber hose and RectorSeal #5  between the hose & the SS — double or triple hose clamps.  Thin wall chessy  SS tube and seawater and seawater has always been a bad combo

1 user thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Stainless pipe

So after a few bloody knuckles as Tony said I found the problem.The stainless exhaust pipe has a pinhole leak. The pipe was only 3 years old so it was the last thing I checked. Can I get it welded or would some other applications be better.Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

This is what I’d call a knuckle bleeder type job.. Hands-on in the boat is the only solution.. Too many possibilities as to why with an  Onan. If it is a hose/tube/fitting seal, use Rectorseal 5  when assembling. 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.