• Creator
    Topic

Jason Leslie
    Participant
    Vessel Name: PierFection
    Engines: Detroit 6V92TA

I was wondering if anyone knows a good oil  pressure test port for the Cummins QSC’s. My starboard engine has gone to a zero pressure display and alarm. This was just after starting the motor and putting it into gear. It spiked to 70 psi then went to zero. I’m guessing it is just a malfunction on the electronic sending unit. However, I would like to hook up a manual gauge to confirm that my electronic sending unit is bad. I would also like to probably put an on engine mechanical pressure gauges for both engines. If anyone has added mechanical oil, pressure gauges to their QSC or knows the location of the best test point for it I would appreciate it. 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jason Leslie
    Participant

Additional pictures

Additional pictures

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jason Leslie
    Participant

Follow up

So not being able to find a location for an oil test port I stopped by Tony’s shop. Tony advised me to look about 4 inches from where the oil pan meets the block in a horizontal line from front to rear. He said there are several Allen key plugs along that line and those are the main oil galley. I found one that was in front of the original sending unit that is bad. However, it is about a half inch diameter just like the sending unit. The oil pressure manual gauge that I purchased is a quarter inch thread. So I located an additional plug and pulled that off. Check the oil pressure at this location and the pressure is good. Here is photos in case someone is looking for a place to put an oil pressure sending unit on their QSC. 

1 user thanked author for this post.

pwrobert
    Participant

Possibilities

I have 6BTAs and they have multiple temprature and oil pressure sender locations but if the QSC just has the one behinf the transmission cooler then either temporarily swapping it out with a new one (call it a spare afterwards) or if room put in a “T” fitting and have both at the same time if there is room.

Tony may be able to give you alternate locations like his has with the BTAs. I have 3 oil pressure and 3 engine water temp senders on my setup – all to different gauges or instruments. Some to the Lower Station and some to the Bridge and one set goes to NMEA so they are visible wherever I have a Chartplotter or other NMEA 2000 display.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.